This page provides tips on what you can do to help prevent crime.
Property Crime Prevention
How to document your valuables:
- Include brand, model, description, value and, most importantly, a serial number.
- Do not overlook items such as stoves, ovens, trash compactors, heat pumps and lighting fixtures.
- Mark any valuables that will be left behind with your driver's license number; this may be done with an inexpensive engraver. Marked items are more difficult for a burglar to dispose of and easier for police to recover.
Additional precautions to help keep your property secure:
- Lock all outside doors and windows.
- Use electronic timers on inside lights, varying the on/off times.
- Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers to build up.
- Arrange for your lawn to be mowed.
- Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors. Push-button locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open.
- Secure your sliding glass doors with special locks.
- Have adequate exterior lighting. A motion-sensitive light is recommended.
- Trim trees and shrubs so that they cannot be used as hiding places for intruders.
- Make sure your door hinges are on the inside.
Above all else, be alert. Immediately report any unusual activity to the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office by dialing 911 for emergencies or (541) 474-5123 for non-emergencies.