Applications for concealed handgun licenses are accepted in the Civil Division at the Josephine County Adult Jail, Monday's ONLY 9:00am-Noon and 1:00pm-4:00pm with the exception of CLOSED ON HOLIDAYS. If we have an abundance of customers lined up we may be required to cut off accepting additional people during those hours to ensure we can close on time.
An extensive criminal, civil and mental health background is conducted after your application is submitted. At the time you submit your application, we will photograph and fingerprint you and collect applicable fees.
- Total Cost: $65.00
- $50.00 is paid the Josephine County Sheriff's Office, cash or money order
- $15.00 is paid to Oregon State Police (OSP), check or money order. (for first time applicants only)
These fees are non-refundable and cover the cost of the background investigation and processing as required by law. Please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for notification when your permit approval process is complete.
To qualify for a concealed handgun license you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a US Citizen or have proof of application with the intent to become a citizen
- Never have been convicted of a disqualifying crime of domestic violence
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
- Not be a registered sex offender
- Not have been convicted of any drug related crime
- Pay appropriate fees
- Provide written documentation that demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course
- Pass a background check
The Sheriff's Office does not endorse any specific instructors, however you can contact the Josephine County Sportsman's Park at (541) 476-2040 for a list of qualified instructors that offer handgun safety classes. Instructors will provide a certificate upon successful completion of the class that will suffice for competency in handgun safety.
Until further notice, we will no longer be able to accept out-of-state applications, we will renew expiring out-of-state applications.
When you apply, bring:
- Your completed application
- Two pieces of ID (one with a photo)
- Proof of competency in handgun safety
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
- Required application fees